Home    Whole sale  Amber
Amber

Amber


Palmnicken (Jantarnyj), East Prussian (Germany) - Baltic Sea.

Amber from Palmnicken (Jantarnyj), East Prussian (Germany) – Baltic Sea. Several pieces. From a very old German  - collection (found about 100 years ago).


€ 25.00

Stock: 1


Article code: IX.C.0110.001

Amber


  • Product info

Amber from Palmnicken became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1701 and the Prussian Province of East Prussia in 1773.
Imperial Russian troops occupied the town from between 1758 and 1762 during the Seven Years' War. Resulting from the Prussian administrative reform of 1818, Palmnicken became part of Landkreis Fischhausen in East Prussia.
Industrial development of the local amber trade started in 1827. The town became part of the German Empire in 1871 during the Prussian-led unification of Germany.
The largest underground amber pit “Anna” was founded north from Palmnicken in 1883 and till 1922 it produced about 1250 kilo amber every day. 1827 the company Stantien&Becker started amber mining in Palmnicken. “Jantarnyj” is the largest open pit amber mine in the world.
Amber is still mined at this location.